Kalmi shak (or kolmi saag)/water spinach is a popular leafy vegetable in West Bengal, not just in the Bengal but also it is very common leafy vegetable across the South East Asian countries. It spreads very rapidly in a wetland. If you do not take care then these plants can spread all over the pond. That is why it is considered a weed in many countries. But we Bengali people love this leafy vegetable and we can eat a lot of this kalmi shak stir fry, so it gets automatically controlled & can not spread, haha.
The taste of this stir fry water spinach is the best when you use fresh leafy vegetable. But if you are living in an urban area then you probably will not get fresh leaves.
So only solution to get fresh water spinach leaves is, grow your own plants. This plant can be easily grown on the ground or you can choose containers/pots to grow. I am growing it in plastic bottles as well as clay pots. This plant does not need any proper care. Once you harvest it then within 3-4 weeks it will be ready for harvesting again.
Water spinach stir fry (Kalmi shak recipe)
- 250 gm water spinach/kalmi saag
- 1-2 red chillies, whole
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Clean & wash water spinach and roughly chop and keep it in a bowl for further use
- Heat oil in a cooking pot and add garlic pieces & whole red chilli, saute till nice aroma comes out
- Then add roughly chopped water spinach and chopped green chillies and stir till leafy vegetable comes soft
- Spread salt and stir till leaves & stems are perfectly cooked (Do not overcook)