Chow mein is quite popular in India and some other countries in this region. More particularly when it comes to street food in India, chow mein is preferred but I think very a few numbers of people ever heard such food named vegetable Lo Mein in Kolkata, India unless somebody is very well informed about Chinese foods. Actually chow mein & lo mein, both are almost same food but here lo mein noodles are not as much fried as chow mein. Though it is basically a wheat flour made non-vegetarian food comes with non-vegetarian items (chicken, pork, beef, mutton etc) but you can prepare a vegetable lo mein dish with a lot of available seasonal vegetables.
Before you go for further reading, I am curious to know whether you have tasted vegetable lo mein or not? If you have ever tasted or even cooked any kind of lo mein at your place then please share your experience and let other readers & also me know about the story. Because we believe sharing is caring and once you share something with others then at the same time you may also learn something from others. AND such mutual sharing will definitely make this world better. This was the only reason behind starting this blog where everybody will be benefited.
I cooked this vegetable lo mein a few days back but still, I could not get time to share it here. But this time I am determined to share this today at any situation, otherwise, this food story will never get published if I will wait a few more days, haha. Because if in the meantime I will something new then this food story will lose its importance and pictures may be scattered in here & there and the whole things may lead this food post to be unpublished permanently. This delay mainly happened due to FIFA U17 world cup football 2017.
I just love this kind of mixed vegetable lo mein and always do experiment with different seasonable vegetables. But this combination of vegetables is my favorite because those are always available throughout the year, except green onions. If you have any specific favorite vegetable what you want to add to this vegetable lo mein then you can share it with other readers by leaving a comment below.
Vegetable lo mein recipe
- Thin wheat flour made noodles - 400 gm
- Vegetables (cabbage, carrot, capsicum, green beans & green onions) - 2 cups
- green chillies - 3 pieces
- Onion - 1 piece, medium
- Vinegar - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1.5 tsp, powder
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Boil noodles for 5-7 minutes, drain hot water and wash in running normal water and keep aside for further use
- Now take 2 cups of vegetables (finely chopped cabbage, carrot - julienne cut, capsicum pieces, ½ inch long green onion pieces) and saute in a large cooking pan with 1 tbsp of oil for 6-7 minutes
- Then add finely chopped green chillies, soy sauce and vinegar and mix well with all vegetables
- Now add cooked noodles and toss a few numbers of times to mix all vegetables with cooked noodles, use chopsticks to mix further if needed
Serve this vegetable lo mein with tomato sauce, chilli sauce or even mustard sauce according to your choice & taste
Use any kind of fresh seasonable vegetables to make this vegetable lo mein according to your choice & preference
I prefer this vegetable lo mein to serve with additional omelette (okay, it is suggested if you are non-vegetarian)
This vegetable lo mein recipe is very simple and I always get a mouthwatering outcome from this recipe.