What is in your sandwich? Chicken or mutton or vegetables? How do you want to add those to your sandwich? I am sure that veg kabab is not in your sandwich? Haha! Is this not true? In India, kebab is popular street food. But you will be blessed if you try veg kabab sandwich for an evening snack? Though there will be some street food vendors who offer kabab sandwich in your city but preparing veg kebab sandwiches at home as well as having this along with family members is really enjoyable & memorable experience.
Does it not look delicious? It is tastier than it actually looks. It is not just a tasty snack but also a healthy food item if you make this at home. You can add all seasonal fresh vegetables to make it.
I have added cauliflower, green peas, spinach (palak) and potatoes to make this tasty & healthy snack. It needs a lot of Indian spices. Fresh lettuce leaves & tomato slices make this more crunchy & juicy and also healthy.
This winter, I have grown lettuce plants in my rooftop garden. So I harvested fresh lettuce leaves for making this veg kabab sandwich. I have grown those plants organically.
Ohhh, not just lettuce leaves, this season, you will find spinach plants in my rooftop garden and you will always find some ready to harvest leaves in my garden.
So here are those handful of fresh lettuce & spinach leaves.
Veg kabab sandwich recipe
- 2 large size potatoes
- 1 cup small cauliflower pieces
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup breadcrumb
- Handful fresh spinach (palak) leaves
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1.5 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1.5 teaspoon aamchur (dry mango powder)
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Salt as needed
- Refined oil for shallow frying
- 12 large size bread slices
- Tomato sauce/schezwan sauce as needed
- 1 large size tomato
- Handful of fresh lettuce leaves
- 1 large size onion
- 1.5 tablespoons butter, optional
- Boil potatoes and mashed those boiled potatoes
- Now cut all 4 sides of each bread slice and take all thin sides of bread slices in a grinder
- Also, take cauliflower & green peas in the same grinder and make paste
- Now wash & clean spinach (palak) leaves and cut into small pieces
- Then take mashed potatoes, the paste of cauliflower, green peas & breadcrumbs, chopped coriander leaves & spinach (palak) leaves, ginger paste and all spices (red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chaat masala, garam masala & dry mango powder) in large bowl
- Now spread salt as needed and mix all properly
- Make 6 small balls from that mixture
- Heat a cooking pan and sprinkle a little amount of refined cooking oil and put 2-3 balls on that pan and press with finger to flatten those and give shape as shown in picture
- Now fry both sides of the kebab one by one over low to medium flame
- Repeat this step till you cook all those small balls
- Toast all bread slices properly
- Now take 6 bread slices from those and spread tomato sauce or schezwan sauce on each top of those 6 bread toast
- Then put fresh lettuce leaves and put fried kabab over lettuce leaves and put tomato slices & onion rings over each vegetable kabab
- Now you have 6 more bread toast, you can apply butter on those bread toast, optional
- Then put those toast over tomato & onion rings and serve
Suggested post: Do you know – why people prefer cheese bread with tomato soup?
How to make vegetable kebab sandwich at home?
Cut all 4 sides of each bread slices and toast all bread slices. Keep residual of bread to make breadcrumbs
Now take cauliflower, green peas and breadcrumbs in a grinder and make a paste
Then take boiled potatoes, cauliflower, green peas and breadcrumbs paste, also take small pieces of spinach leaves, fresh coriander leaves, ginger paste and all other spices and combine all
After this, you need to make 6 small balls with your hands.
Okay, now you need to heat a cooking pan and add a little amount of refined oil. Put 2-3 balls what you prepared in the previous step. Now press those with your fingers to give those similar shape as shown above in the picture. You can even use a spoon to flatten those instead of fingers to avoid injury and cook both sides one by one and this way cook all those small balls. Finally, you have prepared all 6 veg kebabs for your sandwiches.
Now prepare tomato & onion slices for further usage
Spread tomato sauce or schezwan sauce on 6 toasted bread slices and keep rest toasted bread slices aside for further use.
Put fresh lettuce leaves on each bread slices (here I have used homegrown fresh lettuce leaves)
Now put fried vegetable kabab, onion and tomato slices one by one.
Though I usually prefer to add more onion slices but you know nowadays onion price is Rs 150 per Kg. So using extra onion gives me a feeling that I am doing something wrong, haha. Even in our local market people call onion as Sachin (Tendulkar) because its price is always above Rs 100 per Kg.
Apply butter on the other bread slice and put it over the tomato slices and serve.
Also try: Batata vada pav, very special Maharashtrian dish misal pav, yummy mushroom masala pav, delicious masala pav with grated coconut, Kolhapuri style misal with fresh pav
Cheese lovers can add cheese and cook in the sandwich maker by applying little more butter on both sides of bread slices. But I prefer to have this veg kabab sandwich without cheese. It is just super delicious and tasty.