So how many times did you try sorse shim chorchori? Sorry? Don’t you know shim? Ohh, don’t you have any idea about chorchori? Haha! Then probably you are not chorchori. Am I not true? It is a popular traditional hyacinth beans based curry with mustard seeds paste. It comes with thick gravy or without any so called gravy. You can call this dish shim sorse or sorse diye shim chorchori.
Okay, if you are reading further that means you know what is sorse shim chorchori or shim sorse. It is delicious and many Bengali people welcome winter season with this traditional dish.
Though when I am writing this post that time shim is not available in the market. You may find some costly shim (hyacinth beans) but that too will be very costly and not as good as fresh shim. Well, now the temperature is around 38 degree centigrade. Yes, it is May 2019 and summer already started. Then why am I sharing this sorse shim chorchori recipe now? What is the point of publishing this post now? Am I mad? Haha!
Actually, I took those pictures in last winter when I tried that sorse shim chorchori. But after uploading those to my computer, when I rechecked those images then I was not satisfied. It may be due to insufficient light. But today, I decided to upload those because now the weather is extreme and I am not trying to make anything new. So I picked those old pictures and shared this post here.
Sorse shim chorchori recipe
- 1 small bowl of hyacinth beans/shim, cut into 1.5 inch size pieces
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1.5 teaspoon kalo jeera/kalonji
- 4 green chillies, cut into thin pieces
- 1.5 tablespoons poppy seeds paste
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds paste
- 1.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- Water ½ cup
- 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot, then add kalonji, ginger paste & green chilies and saute for just 1 minute
- Then add hyacinth beans (shim) and fry for next 2-3 minutes over medium heat
- Now add salt, poppy seeds paste, mustard seeds paste and turmeric powder and cook another 3 minutes over medium flame
- Then pour water and cook another 3 minutes or till it reaches required consistency