Once you roast something then you will get a smoky smell. Is this not true? So if you enjoy that smoky flavor then you should try this roasted tomato curry with green peas. It is a simple & common dish but different in taste. Though you can add ripe tomatoes directly without roasting to this dish which will be tasty too. But after using roasted tomatoes, it becomes a special dish for a special occasion.
I could not stop myself to share this post because here I used homegrown fresh tomatoes. Yes, I grew 6 tomato plants on my rooftop garden and nowadays everyday it is providing 3-4 ripe tomatoes for my family. So the joy of making this roasted tomato curry increases due to those tomatoes. Those tomato plants are grown organically.
Though this year I also grew a few green peas plants and those plants gave a few green peas which were not a good amount but still I sun dried those peas and preserve for summer days. I thought I would use those green peas. But I chose market bought green peas because nowadays green peas become a very less expensive vegetable and very fresh. Almost every vegetable sellers piled up a huge quantity of green peas at their stores.
So I kept my homegrown & sun-dried green peas for summer days.
Roasted tomato curry (with green peas) recipe
- 3 large tomatoes
- ⅔ cup green peas
- 1 large onion, cut into small pieces
- 1.5 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1.5 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped
- 1-1.5 teaspoons turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoons refined oil
- Water as needed for making gravy
- Roast tomatoes on oven and then remove its peel and cut into small pieces, keep those aside for further use
- Heat oil in a cooking pot and grated ginger and saute
- Now add finely chopped onion and cook till it turns into light brown
- Then add all spices (coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder) and add salt too, stir to mix all
- Now add green peas and cook those for next 2 minutes over medium flame
- Then add finely chopped roasted tomatoes and cook over medium flame till it mix with all spices & becomes more soft
- Pour ½ cup water (or more if needed) and cook over low flame for next 5 minutes
- Once it reaches desired thickness then switch off fire and serve it with roti or rice
How to make roasted tomato curry with green peas?
Add oil in a kadai (Indian cooking pot) and then saute grated ginger & finely chopped onion. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder and cook all spices till all mixed properly. Now add green peas and cook for a few minutes.
Then add finely chopped roasted tomatoes and cook for another few minutes
Once tomatoes become soft and mixed with all other spices then pour water and cook it over low flame till it reaches desired thickness.
Serve delicious roasted tomato curry with green peas along with roti or plain rice.
………. Kitchen Garden ……….
It is the first week of March, Spring season. So now matured winter vegetables as well as seedlings of summer vegetables are in my rooftop garden. My tomato plants are still producing plenty of fresh tomatoes. I am getting a few tomatoes after one or two days. A few new tomato plants are preparing for summer season too.
Right now, I have matured bottle gourd, tomato, capsicum, chilli, brinjal, lettuce etc plants in my rooftop garden.