Raw banana kofta curry is a very flavorful, soft kofta made curry. In case, you want to know what is kofta then within a few words, I would say this a savoury small balls made with vegetables, meat etc. In this case, it is made with mainly raw banana fruit (kacha kela in Hindi). Raw banana kofta curry is very popular across the country. But here I will talk about mainly Bengali style kacha kela kofta curry which is one of my favorites.
Any kind of koftas are popular in India. Particularly, if you are vegetarian then it is the best main course food. You can have different varieties in kofta also like paneer kofta, mixed veg kofta, cabbage kofta, aloo kofta, banana kofta etc. I love raw banana kofta curry because of its mouthwatering smell. The unique flavor of raw banana makes this dish very special.
Banana trees are really miracle tree. You can eat ripe bananas, then you eat its inner stem, you can also its blossom or flowers. You can even eat unripe raw banana. Not only that you can use banana leaves to make paturi. I mean it is really God’s own plant. Every parts of this plant are useful.
I often cut green fresh banana plant leaves from our small banana garden and serve food on that leaves for rooftop picnic. kele ka chips (raw banana chips) are also my favorite.
Okay, now coming to this kacha kela kofta curry. Did you ever try this? It is very flavorful dish and its gravy prepared with various spices and ghee what makes this food more enjoyable. I love to have this raw banana kofta curry with plain rice or even plain naan. Kela kofta itself very very soft, so you will do not even bite to eat those koftas.
Raw banana kofta curry recipe
- 1 medium size raw banana/kacha kela
- 1.5 teaspoon ginger paste/ adrak
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 finely chopped green chillies/hara mirch
- Salt as needed
- Oil for frying
- 1 medium size potato/aloo, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste/adrak
- 1.5 teaspoons coriander powder/dhania
- 2 bay leaves/tej patta
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder/jeera
- Pinches of asafoetida/hing
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- 1.5 teaspoon red chili powder/lal mirch
- 2 whole green chillies
- 1 tablespoon ghee for cooking
- 1.5 cup water
- Peel green colored skin of raw banana, then boil it in water for 5 minutes or till it becomes very soft
- Now mash boiled banana, add corn flour, ginger paste, cumin powder, garam masala, finely chopped green chillies, salt and mix all, then make 8-10 small balls
- Heat oil in a cooking pan and shallow fry all those small balls and take all fried kofta in a bowl
- Heat ghee in a cooking pot and fry all small pieces of potato, now take all fried potatoes in a bowl
- Then add whole cumin seeds in the same cooking pot and allow those to start cracking and nice aroma comes out
- Then add bay leaves, ginger paste and saute till raw aroma goes away then add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes soft & mashy
- Now add hing, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder & salt and mix with all spices
- Then add fried potatoes & green chillies and cook for another 2-3 minutes and pour water and allow it to start boiling for 5 minutes
- Now add fried kofta too the curry and switch off the flame and spread finely chopped coriander leaves, also add 1.5 teaspoon ghee to this kacha kela kofta curry and serve with rice or roti