Did you accidentally jump on this page? Nope!!! I believe that you are a tofu lover. NO??? Then you are certainly a mushroom lover. Both these two are miracle food for vegan and vegetarian. I like both. When it becomes to mushroom then everybody will say that it is very nutritious. But there are many types of mushroom are available in the market. I like only white button mushroom and it is the most popular mushroom in our locality. But most edible mushrooms have many nutritional values. So when it combines with mushroom tofu curry Indian style then it makes it more delicious & healthy.
Here I have used homemade tofu to make this awesome curry.
Used homemade tofu to make this dish
It was my first attempt when I made tofu at home. But I was confident about the result because I made paneer (cow milk made cottage cheese) several times at home. I used calcium lactate (as a coagulant) to make this tofu because I doubted whether lemon juice will work or not. Making tofu at home also very economical because if I bought 200 gm soybeans then I will get around 2.5 litre soy milk.
From that amount of soy milk I can get a standard size block of tofu. That 200 gm soybeans cost me Rs 24 and I got tofu of Rs 60. The tofu making process helped me to multiply its value for 2.5 times.
Both mushroom & tofu are not a common food in our kitchen. Though mushroom is very popular in Northern India, but still in West Bengal, India it is not so popular because most people prefer nonvegetarian food. Bengali people love fish curry & chicken & mutton curry. So mushroom is not so popular in West Bengal as compared to it is in Northern Indian states.
When it comes to tofu then I would say only a few people in West Bengal actually buy this item frequently and rest actually never heard the word ‘tofu’ or they just tried it for once.
How to make mushroom tofu curry Indian style?
Cut onion, garlic, green chillies into small pieces, grate ginger and cut each button mushroom into 4 pieces
Then you need to buy fresh tofu into small pieces. If you are using homemade tofu then press it properly otherwise whenever you want to cut that into pieces then that will not be cut properly.
Now heat oil in a kadai (Indian cooking pot) and fry raw onion pieces till it becomes light brown. Then take those semi fried onion in a separate bowl for further use in this mushroom tofu curry Indian style.
Once you have fried onion then you need to fry tofu. Do not fry those pieces of tofu too much. Just keep the flame medium and saute till it turns slightly yellowish. Over cooking of tofu will make those pieces hard. Then take those fried tofu in another bowl.
Now fry mushroom pieces till those become soft. Take all fried mushrooms in a bowl and then you need to prepare curry.
Okay, now add oil in the kadai (Indian cooking pot) if needed more. Add finely chopped green chillies and garlic pieces and cook till those becomes soft & darker.
Now add grated ginger to this and cook till raw aroma goes away.
Then add coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Stir to mix all spices. Now add soy sauce & vinegar to those mixed spices and stir to mix all flavor. Now everything will look very dark due to soy sauce.
Now keep the flame low and add semi fried onion and cook for another 2 minutes and then add fried mushrooms too. Now increase the flame to medium and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes.
Now pour water and stir to mix all spices with water. Then allow it to start boiling and then keep boiling to adjust consistency & thickness of the curry. Stir the curry after every 30 seconds. Add fried tofu into the curry just 2 minutes before switching off the fire.
Serve this awesome mushroom tofu curry Indian style with plain rice or Roti/naan/kulcha/paratha (Indian bread).
Mushroom and tofu curry recipe (Indian style)
- 150 gm tofu (Soy paneer)
- 150 gm button mushrooms
- 1 large size onion (pyaz), finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic (lahsun) cloves, cut into thin pieces
- 1.5 teaspoons grated ginger (adrak)
- 4-5 green chillies, cut into thin slices
- 1.5 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt as needed
- ½ cup water (or more if needed)
- Heat oil in a kadai (cooking pot) and fry raw onion (till it becomes light brown), tofu (till it becomes slightly yellowish) & mushrooms (till it becomes soft) one by one and take all in separate bowls
- Now add finely chopped garlic & green chillies and saute
- Then add grated ginger and cook till raw aroma goes away
- Now add cumin powder, coriander powder and stir, then add soy sauce & vinegar and stir to mix with all other spices
- Spread fried onion over that dark colored spices and stir for 2 minutes over low flame and also add cooked mushroom and cooked over medium flame for 1 or 2 minutes
- Now pour water, stir it to mix all spices with water. Then allow it to start boiling. Boil it till it reaches desired consistency & thickness.
- Add fried tofu 2 minutes before you switch off fire.