Dal is a popular dish in India. It does not matter from which part of this country you belong to. Every Indian likes dal and prepares various types of dal according to their taste & preference. Punjabi style spicy dal is very popular in Northern Indian states. People from South Indian states enjoy sambar which is also prepared with dal. But did you ever try mixed vegetable dal? Yes, mixed lentils curry cooked with various seasonal vegetables. It is very delicious and healthy dish and you will definitely love this mixed veg daal with plain rice.
This mixed vegetable dal is a very special dish what you can make for your regular meal. It includes all available seasonal vegetables as well as lentils. So from nutrition point of view this dish is very special.
A few years back when I was in Delhi, I noticed there was a roadside stall at Bawana, Delhi used to sell similar lentils curry with various vegetables. It was served with plain rice and there was a long queue in front of that stall. People used to enjoy the meal which was delicious, healthy & less expensive too.
The best part of this mix veg daal curry is that you can make it any time throughout the year. Lentils are always available at every Indian household’s kitchen and you are free to add any seasonal vegetables to this curry.
So are you ready to make this dish today?
Mixed vegetable dal curry recipe
- ⅔ cup mixed dal (lentils), preferably equal portions of green mung bean, black bean, chana dal, matar dal, red kidney bean (rajma), toor dal etc)
- 1 large size onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (lahsun)
- 1.5 teaspoons red chilli powder (lal mirch)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.5 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 2-3 green chillies (hara mirch)
- 1.5 cups chopped vegetables (preferably pumpkin, potato, ash gourd, spine gourd, radish etc)
- Salt as needed
- 1.5 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1.5 cups water + for soaking lentils
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
- Wash & soak mixed lentils (daal) in water for 2 hours (or even more if possible)
- Drain water and then pressure cook mixed lentils for 10-12 whistles with 1 cup of water
- Now heat mustard oil in a cooking pot (kadai) and add ginger & garlic paste, then saute
- Then add finely chopped onion and fry till it turns to light brown
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and green chillies & stir
- Now add chopped vegetables and stir to cook all vegetable perfectly for next 2-3 minutes
- Then pour cooked mixed lentils and mix all
- Pour water as needed (preferably ½ cup to 1 cup)
- Now cover the cooking pot with a lid and cook over medium flame for next 7-8 minutes
- Now spread finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and mix
- Serve this with plain rice or jeera rice
How to make mixed veg dal curry at home?
Wash all fresh vegetables and cut into small pieces according to your choice.
Also wash mix dal (lentils) and pressure cooked till dal becomes soft (perfectly cooked)
Heat mustard oil in a cooking pot and add saute ginger & garlic paste. Then add chopped onion and fry till raw aroma goes away as well as it turns to light brown.
Add all spices (red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder), stir to mix all spices
Now add salt and chopped green chillies and cook for another a few seconds
Then add all chopped fresh vegetables and stir to cook all vegetable for next 2-3 minutes
Now pour cooked (boiled) mixed lentils, stir properly to mix all
Then pour water as needed (preferably 1/2 cup to 1 cup) and stir your mix veg dal curry and Now cook this dal curry over medium flame for next 7-8 minutes.
Now spread finely chopped fresh coriander leaves over the cooked mix veg dal curry and mix. Finally serve this with plain rice or matar rice or jeera rice.
So are you ready to make this mixed vegetable dal curry today for your meal?