Nothing is more important when you have matar paneer (motor ponir – Oops my Bengali pronunciation) ) and butter naan in front of you except enjoying that fullest. Is it not true? What is your opinion? Probably, everybody likes this food so much, unless you do not eat anything else than a non-vegetarian food and I think those people are very rare in India. This is one of the most popular dishes in Northern India. People often prefer to have this matar paneer with roti, naan, paratha or rice.
Though most of us prefer to enjoy in a good AC restaurant but having matar paneer (my favorite motot ponir, haha!) at roadside dhaba is an absolute different experience. Taste of matar paneer at those dhabas are so delicious & authentic and more particularly the ambience of those dhaba, seating arrangement and style of serving such foods. I have also tried matar paneer at a dhaba at GT Karnal Road, Sonepat, Haryana. AND of course, the taste of that food was awesome.
But nothing is more exciting than enjoying matar panner (check below for recipe of motor ponir) at home with family members or friends. But making tasty matar paneer sometimes seems little difficult but it needs its all ingredients & little practice. You need paneer, green peas, onion, tomato puree/paste, garlic, ginger, char magaz seeds paste, cashew nuts paste, raisin (kishmish) paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, roasted coriander powder, garam masala powder, dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi), salt, refined oil, water to make super tasty matar paneer.
Matar paneer recipe
Recipe of motor ponir (homemade food)
- Paneer - 200gm
- Green peas / matar - ⅔ cup
- Onion/pyaz - 1 medium
- Tomato - ½ cup, puree or paste
- Garlic/ lahsun - 1.5 tsp, cut into small pieces
- Adrak/Lahsun - 2 tsp, paste
- Char magaz seeds - 2 tsp, paste
- Cashew nuts - 2.5 tsp, paste
- Raisin/kishmish - 1 tsp, paste
- Red chilli / lal mirch - 2 tsp, powder
- Turmeric / haldi - 1.5 tsp, powder
- Roasted cumin / bhuna jeera - 1.5 tsp, powder
- Roasted coriander / bhuna dhania - 2 tsp, powder
- Garam masala - 1.5 tsp, powder
- Dry fenugreek leaves / Kasuri methi - pinches off, dry crushed leaves
- Salt - as needed
- Refined oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Heat oil in a wok/cooking pot and add finely chopped onion and saute till it turns to light brown
- Now add small pieces of garlic, ginger paste, char magaz seeds paste, cashew nut paste, raisin paste, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, roasted coriander powder and salt one by one and mix all added ingredients
- Then add turmeric powder, kasuri methi and stir again to mix with other ingredints
- Now pour water and stir to mix all cooked ingredietns with water, add green peas too and let it boil for next 5 minutes, or more till it reaches desired thickness & consistency
- Then add small pieces of paneer and garam masala and cook for another 3 minutes over low/medium fire and then switch of flame
If you want to try something different which is healthy and tasty then spiced lentil soup, paneer momo, chilli paneer etc. But if you have tried this recipe of motor ponir (matar paneer recipe) then you must share your experience with us by sharing your comment below.
Do not forget to try this recipe of motor ponir
Punjabi style best matar paneer