Indian wedding is always colorful and full of fun. But every region of this country has its own style and rituals of wedding ceremony. Food is an integral part of wedding and there must be some traditional regional food for any Indian wedding. Konkan area of western coastal area of India is very famous for its special spicy Konkani cuisine. They have a long list of sea food. If you have an opportunity to attend traditional Konkani wedding then must try their Konkani style food. Their vegetarian food menu is very interesting and famous for its flavors and style. They follow their traditional method to make dishes and add a lot of spices to make food more delicious.Though nowadays you may find various other cuisines in Konkani wedding food menu but you will definitely able to find some of their traditional dishes.
Konkani Wedding Food Ideas
A list of mouthwatering snacks & starters and main course items for Konkani wedding menu for vegetarians
Snacks & starters
- Malvani poha – Poha, particularly Malvani poha is very special, it follows traditional method to make special Malvani poha, grated coconut and farsan also are added over poha
- Pathrode – Colocasia leaves are used to make pathrode, very traditional Konkani dish
- Nevris – Crispy flour made gujiya type snack, stuffed with coconut, jaggery and a lot of dry fruits. Very special Konkani or Goan dish
- Phanasachi Bhaji – This is actually jackfruit (kathal) fry. It uses various spices to make this dish in Konkani style. It is popular in various rural area of this region.
- Kaju chi aamti – This a traditional dish of konkan region, it is prepared with cashew nuts and some spices.
- Kokum curry – Do you know kokum? Actually many people never heard about kokum, it is very widely available western coastal side of India, particularly in Konkan area. Kokum is a red or pink colored small fruit, it is used to make curry or special drink for summer.
- Usal – It is an excellent lentils based curry. People love to have this with bread (pav), rice or plain roti. It is healthy dish from Maharastra, Konkan and Goa area.
- Mushroom masala – Mushroom masala is popular across the country, but Konkani people make special mushroom masala, they use different masala and it is more spicy than available in any other region.
Non vegetarian Food
A list of delicious snacks & starters and main course items for Konkani wedding menu for non-vegetarians
Snacks & starters
- Jhinga fry – This jhinga fry is very popular in many places along western coastal ghats. It is basically batter coated prawn fries
- Bombil fry – Bombil fry is nothing but Bombay duck fry. But do not go with its name because it is not a duck, it is basically a sea fish. It is called as loytta in Bengal, in Maharashtra it is called as Bombil. This Bombil fry is very popular in Konkan region. It is popular because of its strong flavor.
- Bangda fry – Pan fried bangda fish is most preferred in various region of Konkan. Spicy and crispy bangda fry is very close to Konkani people. 🙂
- Alle kande ambat – Konkani style fish curry, this dish prepared with ginger and onion based curry
- Tepla Ambat – Tepla means triphal and ambat means curry, it is basically triphal curry and often fish is added in this curry
- Hinga udak – It is special spicy prawn curry, very authentic Konkani dish
- Kurle ambat – Do you like crab? Then add this crab gravy in your food menu, this gravy is super tasty and normally made with river crabs.
- Mori mutton – Do you want to try shark in marriage reception party or want to offer traditional shark curry on such occasion then add this in food menu. It is a very popular Konkani food and people will definitely like this.
- Malvani mutton curry – Malvan is a beautiful place in Maharasthra and a place for traditional Konkani food, its traditional mutton curry may work great in marriage reception food menu. It is little different due to its spices.
- Komdi vade – It is basically a full meal, chicken curry served with vade or sort of puri along with onion, lemon juice and coconut milk made gravy.
- Rice payasam – If you are not belong to Konkan region then you also you must have tried this rice payasam. It is knwon as different names in different areas. It is called as kheer in North India, payes in eastern side of India, payasam in south India. Taste may vary little bit across the country. Konkani people follow traditional way to make rice payasam
- Patholi – Another uncommon name? But it is a traditional Konkani dessert, made from rice flour, coconut and jaggery. It is also popular in many western and southern states of India.
Have you recently attended any marriage ceremony in Konkan where traditional konkani food was served? Then
Share such traditional Konkani wedding food menu with others by leaving comment below.
**We believe sharing is caring**
If you liked this post about Konkani wedding food ideas then do not forget to share this on any social media.
Other wedding food ideas – Tamil menu, Marwari menu, Maharashtrian menu, Bihari menu, Gujarati menu, Bengali menu, Punjabi menu