Red kidney beans curry without onion & garlic is very delicious. Generally, kidney beans are mostly cooked with ginger, garlic, onion, tomatoes & various spices. But I also enjoy this onion & garlic free dish with roti. It is equally mouthwatering. Here taste is not compromised to avoid onion and garlic. So if you are looking for something onion & garlic free dish then you should try this.
Red kidney beans are known as rajma is Northern Indian states. It is a common dish in this region. But you will be surprised to know that it is not originated from this region, in fact, it is not at all an Indian item. These red kidney beans are popular in Mexica and it is brought from Mexico to India. After that, this dish is developed gradually.
Red kidney beans are very nutritious. It contains protein, essential vitamins and essential minerals. It is said that kidney beans have some toxic elements. But once it is soaked in water and then boiled at a high temperature then its toxicity gets reduced and it becomes safe for use.
When I came to know this fact I was scared. But as it is consuming by people from several years and no serious incident is reported, so if we cook this way then we should not worry about the toxicity. More importantly, red kidney beans are a regular diet in North India.
Okay, now coming to this mouthwatering red kidney beans curry without onion & garlic. I made this curry several times. But I never shared it because I have already shared rajma masala in this blog. But today I tried this with roti and I enjoyed a lot. Then I thought that I have to share this here. Roti with red kidney beans curry without onion & garlic is the perfect combination to have as a meal. Try this it is just awesome.
Red kidney beans curry recipe (without onion & garlic)
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 red tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- Handful kasuri methi
- 2 cups of water
- Soak red kidney beans (rajma) in water for overnight (or atleast 10 hours)
- Now drain water and keep it aside for further use
- Heat any vegetable oil in a kadai and add grated ginger, fry till raw aroma goes away
- Pour tomato puree and cook till it releases oil and becomes thick
- Now add all spices (cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chilli powder), finely chopped green chillies & salt and stir to mix all spices for next 1-2 minutes
- Now add all soaked red kidney beans and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Then pour water and stir to mix properly and prepare consistent gravy
- Now pour it into a pressure cooker and cook till 12-15 whistles
- Keep it over a low flame for 5 minutes and then open it and check beans whether those are cooked perfectly or not
- Now add ghee and kasuri methi and stir and cook till gravy reaches desired thickness
- Now serve this curry with rice or roti
Also try: Homemade aloo tikki matar chaat, delicious gajar ka halwa, winter special mixed saag curry
How to make red kidney beans curry without onion & garlic?
Soak rajma (red kidney beans) in water for ten hours or even more. Drain the water and keep it. Soaking kidney beans reduce its toxicity.
Then heat oil in a cooking pot and fry grated ginger till its raw aroma goes away.
Now pour tomato paste or puree and cook till it becomes thick and finally releases oil
Then add all spices, finely chopped green chillies & salt then cook for another few minutes
Add all soaked red kidney beans and cook for next 2-3 minutes
Pour normal water and stir to mix all ingredients
Transfer it in a pressure cook and cook till 12 to 15 whistles or even more. Here cooked it till 25 whistles because kidney beans were not perfectly cooked. Then cook it over low flame for another few minutes so that all beans become very soft.
Now add ghee and kasuri methi, you can add fresh coriander leaves if you want but I did not applied
Stir it and switch off fire. Serve it with roti