Whenever karaishutir kochuri is prepared at home, the happiness is at our home. It is not less than a festival. Bengali people love matar stuffed puri at lot. Whenever they feel a day is special then they think about this Bengali style peas poori.
As green peas (karaishuti) is a winter vegetable, so people generally prepare this during winter season. Though nowadays frozen green peas are easily available at any departmental store throughout the year. But those are not as good as fresh green peas. During winter, fresh green peas are more flavorful & nutritious. So definitely, if you make karaishutir kochuri during winter season then those kochuri will be more enjoyable.
From last November to today, this season I have only tried those karaishutir kochuri for three times. A few days back I prepared these karaishutir kochuri and had those with spicy potato curry. It was really delicious.
This type of kochuri is actually North Indian poori but here this is stuffed with a flavorful green peas made dry masala. That is why you can call it as peas poori or matar stuffed puri.
Last winter I have also grown a few green peas plants and harvested some green peas too. So that time I used those matar to make a few matar stuiffed puri too. I enjoyed more that time because those were prepared with our homegrown vegetable. But as last winter I grew only a few plants so I was not happy with those. So I decided to grow more green peas plants in next season.
Karaishutir kochuri recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour / maida
- Water as needed to make dough
- 1 cup green peas/matar/karaishuti
- Pinches of hing/asafoetida
- 1.5 teaspoons grated ginger/adrak
- Roasted kalonji (kalo jeera)/nigella seeds powder
- Roasted saunf / fennel / mouri powder
- Salt to taste
- Water to grind green peas
- 2.5 tablespoons refined oil
- Add water to all purpose flour & knead to make soft dough
- Now make 8-10 small balls from that dough
- Add green peas to a blender and add little water too, blend roughly
- Heat oil in a kadai and add hing, ginger paste & salt
- Now add roughly blended green peas to it and stir till raw aroma goes away
- Add roasted kalonji (kalo jeera in Bengali) and roasted saunf/fennel (mouri in Bengali) and mix
- Roll each small dough and put a small amount of stuffing item & wrap it by joining edges, and again make a small ball stuffed with spicy green peas
- Now roll it again, do it one by one for each small dough made ball
- Heat oil in another cooking pot/kadai and fry all kochuri one by one