Jackfruit is a miracle fruit because when it is unripe or young then people eat it as a vegetable. But when it is ripe then it is considered as fruit. Even after eating ripe jackfruit, its seeds are also used to make various traditional dishes. Though I love to eat roasted jackfruit seeds just like roasted peanuts. But its seeds are also used to make mouthwatering kathal bichi vorta (bhorta). Did you ever eat such kathal bichi bhorta? It is so delicious.
This jackfruit seeds bharta is a traditional Bengali dish. I ate this dish several times in my childhood. But it is prepared at my home when we have a lot of seeds that we can not consume it as roasted seeds just like a snack.
But a few days back we had a jackfruit. It was sweet in taste. But its pieces are very small in size. We got a lot of jackfruit seeds what we never expect. Normally, we got such amount of seeds from at least 2 or 3 jackfruits. So I decided to make traditional katha bichi bhorta. I enjoyed this food very much with plain rice.
Kathal bichi bhorta recipe
- 100 gm jackfruit seeds
- 2 red chillies, roasted
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut each seed with a sharp knife and remove its skin
- Boil those seeds in water for 14 mins, you can pressure cook those seeds
- Now drain water and take all boiled seeds in a bowl and mashed those boiled seeds
- Add roasted red chillies, salt and mix
- Now just before serving this add finely chopped raw onion & mustard oil and mix