Instant roasted corn salad!! Feeling hungry? HaHa! Yes, it is not just healthy but also tasty. This is such a salad what I try during every summer season. Though now it is mid of February and we have a few more weeks for summer season but still, I found a few corn-cobs in our kitchen. So this year I prepared this awesome salad little early.
Though it is spicy because a lot of spices are added here to make it delicious. So Indian people may call it as chaat too.
I normally try this salad several times with various spices. I also enjoy this with just salt & lemon juice. But that taste of this spicy version is more enjoyable.
Actually in West Bengal, people generally prefer roasted corn on the cob rather than any other corn-based dish.
I noticed that in most Indian cities, it is normally roasted directly in the fire. But in Mumbai, people generally boil it then roast it. Boiling the corn on the cob makes corn soft. I tried such boiled corn several times when I was in Mumbai. That is why when I plan to make a big amount of roasted corn salad then I prefer to boil corn first then roast it. Otherwise, you may feel pain in your jaws.
I ate one spicy roasted corn on the cob and then this awesome roasted corn salad. So eventually last Sunday evening, I ate two corn cob. I prepared those for salad but those are actually super heavy food and full of protein. So I had to miss my dinner for that night.
Roasted corn salad recipe
- 1 corn on the cob
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 small size tomato
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 pinch of roasted cumin powder
- 1 pinch of roasted coriander powder
- 1 pinch of garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Black salt as needed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Remove cover & fibre of the corn cob and then roast it in fire (If corn is not young or corn seeds are too hard then boil it before roasting)
- Then remove its seeds and take in a bowl
- Now finely chop tomato, onion and cucumber and take all in the same bowl
- Add all spices (roasted cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, black pepper powder), salt & lemon juice
- Add any vegetable oil if you want (optional)
- Now toss it to mix all
- Serve it
You can even add fresh lettuce leaves to this salad. Boiled beans & carrots are also preferable to add to this salad. In case you want to add more protein then add small pieces of paneer or tofu.