Nowadays veggie pizza becomes a household name in every Indian city. Probably, nobody will deny if somebody says above words. There are so many international & local brands are selling pizzas in every major Indian city. But did you ever think of an alternative to veggie pizza? Haha, I know there should not be any such alternative to pizza but yes there is a desi alternative to this. Any idea? Any wild guess? It is a very popular south Indian food – Uttapam, more particularly instant rava uttapam because it also saves cooking time as compared to pizza.
Many of you may not be satisfied with the answer, but once you try this food then you can simply can similarities with a P-I-Z-Z-A. As here cheese is not used then you can say this an alternative to vegan P-I-Z-Z-A.
I had tried dosa so many times since my childhood but I never tried uttapam. During my college life I had a chance to try uttapam in a restaurant, thereafter I have tried uttapam hundreds of times but never tried this at home until 2013. I was in Mumbai during that time and I saw many people are selling uttapam from roadside stalls. Particularly if you visit any places near railway station then you will certainly see many street food vendors are selling various local foods (like poha, upma, sabudana khichdi, uttapam etc) from their temporary stalls. You will definitely be surprised with their sales if you count the customers for half an hour. It would be not less than 50. Many permanent stalls in my locality do not have such a huge number of customers. But they make this possible because of place-time-taste.
Many south Indian dishes are equally popular in Mumbai and uttapam is one of those foods. If you are a novice then you can stand there and can observe how they do actually prepare those foods. They actually take few minutes to make hot, delicious & healthy uttapam. If you ask those vendors, then you will know most of them actually prepare instant rava uttapam because in such case nothing gonna waste if they can not sale all in that day. Some street food vendors have their own versions of uttapam and even dosa where they surprisingly add schezwan sauce or cheese and some other popular spices. Cheesy uttapam was good but in such case, I will prefer having pizza over uttapam. But once you talk about something similar to P-I-Z-Z-A without cheese then I would prefer uttapam. I like to have this with coconut chutney, sambar or even schezwan sauce too.
Instant rava uttapam recipe
- Rava/suji/semolina - 200 gm
- Curd/Yogurt/dahi - 2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Water - 1 cup + little more
- Onion - 1 medium size, chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 small, chopped
- Capsicum - 1 small, chopped
- Add rava/semolina, curd/yogurt and water in a large bowl and then mix properly, keep it for 20 next minutes
- Now after 20 minutes add salt, baking powder, oil (and little more water if needed) and then mix again and keep aside for further few minutes
- Now heat a flat cooking pan, add few drops of oil on cooking pan, allow it to spread by moving the pan
- Spread a big full spoon of batter over that cooking pan, fry for 1 minutes, then spread chopped vegetables over and cook for one minute again and then reverse it and cook opposite side of uttapam to cook chopped vegetables too, add oil from the side of uttapam if needed
Serve this instant rava uttapam hot with coconut chutney, samabr dal or schezwan sauce
This one of the easy breakfast recipes. Unlike other such dishes, this instant rava uttapam does not need overnight preparation to ferment the batter. This uttapam recipe is so simple and quick solution to have healthy & tasty breakfast at home and that too in a jiffy without any prior preparation. So if you have liked this and want to make this dish future then PIN this now for future reference and do not forget to share your experience.