It is not just delicious but also very refreshing & nutritious. Thandai is very effective during summer days and gives a lot of energy. So many people prepare this thandai for summer. Well, I used to say this badam doodh since my childhood. Later when I started living in Delhi then I came to know that people say this thandai. Many people also prepare this thandai for Holi festival.
Thandai sounds like a drink what will give you cooling effect and you will feel refreshing. Though it is served chilled, so you may feel refreshed when you drink it. But actually it is full of nuts, so it is a drink with high calorific value. Naturally, it will help us to keep our body warm.
So I never can not understand the logic behind its name. That is why I prefer to say this badam doodh.
Thandai is very important drink for festivals like Maha shivaratri & Holi. Though I have tried this drink several times in my life. But unfortunately, I never tried it on the day of Holi festival at home. So this year, I am planning to prepare it at home.
So are you ready to prepare delicious thandai for holi? It is very simple & you can make thandai mixture and preserve it for a few day in the refrigerator.
Homemade thandai for holi (thandai recipe)
- 2 glasses full cream milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream, optional
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 6 almonds
- 6 cashew nuts
- 4 pistachios, optional
- 2 teaspoons water melon seeds
- 2.5 teaspoons poppy seeds (khus khus/posto)
- 3 cardamoms
- 5-6 whole blackpepper
- pinches of saffon
- Pinches of nutmeg powder (jaiphal)
- 1.5 teaspoons fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 teaspoons rose water
- Soak almonds, cashew nuts, pistachio, watermelon seeds, poppy seeds, cardamom seeds, fennel & black pepper in water in a bowl for overnight or atleast 8 hours
- Now boil milk with sugar and switch off fire and wait till it reaches room temperature, then keep it in refrigerator for 1 hour
- Now take all soaked seeds (drain residual water) in a grinder, add fresh water and grind to make smooth paste
- Add that mixture, roase water, nutmeg powder & fresh cream (optional) to the chilled milk and stir with handheld blender
- Pour thandai into glasses and garnish it with pinches of saffron
How to make thandai mixture for summer?
Soak 6 almonds, 6 cashew nuts, 4-6 pistachio, 2 teaspoons watermelon seeds, 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, seeds of 2-3 whole cardamom, 1.5 teaspoons whole fennel seeds & 5-6 whole black pepper in water in a medium size bowl for overnight or atleast 8 hours
Now after soaking 8 hours, drain the water and take all seeds/ingredients in a grinder
Make smooth paste of those seeds, add 1 teaspoon rose water & mix. Then preserve this paste for making thandai in refrigerator for a few days
Now whenever you want to make thandai then prepare milk first. To do so, you need to boil 500 ml full cream milk for 5 minutes over medium flame and switch off fire. Now add saffron and nutmeg powder to it. Wait till it reaches room temperature and refrigerate it for atleast 1 hour. Add your thandai mixture and serve chilled thandai.