Many food lovers like winter just because of availability of a lot of seasonal vegetables. Cauliflower is one of the such seasonal vegetables which is available in winter. Though nowadays cauliflower is available throughout the year but it is good to buy seasonal vegetables during it’s season. As during season it will be less costly, fresh and good in quality also. Gobi 65 or cauliflower 65 is one of interesting & delicious south Indian dishes. You will definitely like this dish.
No doubt it’s name is odd. It strikes anybody’s mind first just because of that number 65. What should be the reason behind such naming? Actually so many different school of thoughts are behind this naming. Some people say it was introduced in 1965, that is why it is called as Gobi 65. A popular restaurant introduce a chicken dish named chicken 65 in 1965. Another group of people say 65 number of chilies are added in this dish, so it is called as gobi 65. Some people say 65 numbers of different ingredients or spices are added in this dish. So you can choose any reason what you can think logical. 🙂 Ha Ha.
I did a lot of experiment with this type of food and found this recipe is perfect as per my taste and expectation. You can do add little more chilies but I found that a war like situation. So better add chilies as per your comfort and convenience. 😉 I thought many times about naming of this dish because many people will not understand about this dish if they read this name, so I also mentioned little details of this food in it’s title. If you want to suggest any suitable understandable brief name of this food then you can mention below too.
To make this dish, you need to follow two steps. First is deep frying cauliflower or gobi. Secondly tempering your crispy cauliflower fry. Cauliflower pieces will be flour coated before frying. So batter plays an important role to make this dish yummy. Main ingredients for this batter are corn flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder, baking powder and salt. Make batter as thick as you use to make for any other normal pakoda. Main ingredients for tempering are ginger, garlic, tomato puree, soya sauce, cumin powder, red chili powder, green chili, garam masala, lemon juice and salt.
This dish is excellent as snack for all purposes. You can make it very easily and it will take hardly 25 mins to make. It works good with evening tea or coffee.
Gobi 65, Cauliflower 65 recipe
- Cauliflower / gobi - 1 medium size floret
- For preparing batter :
- Corn flour - 3 tbsp
- Rice flour / chawal atta- 4 tbsp
- Turmeric / haldi powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Red chili powder / lal mirch powder - 1.5 tsp
- Black pepper / kali mirch powder - 2 tsp
- Baking powder - pinch of
- Oil - as needed to dip fry
- For preparing tempering :
- Ginger / adrak paste - 2 tsp
- Garlic / lahsun paste - 1.5 tsp
- Tomato puree - 1 tbsp
- Soya sauce - 2 tsp
- Cumin powder / jeera powder - 1.5 tsp
- Red chili / lal mirch powder - 2 tsp
- Green chili / hara mirch - 2 pieces (chopped)
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Lemon / nimbu juice - 2 tsp
- Oil - as needed
- Salt - as needed
- Water - as needed
- Boil small pieces of cauliflower in lightly salty water, do not boil cauliflower too much
- Mix all ingredients of batter and add water. Do not add water too much gradually add water and check thickness
- Heat oil in a pan, take each piece of cauliflower and dip in batter and put in pan for deep frying
- Take all fried cauliflower in a bowl and keep aside
- Now heat a flat sauce pan and add some oil
- Now add all ingredients one by one. Add water if you feel it is too thick
- Now spread over fried cauliflower and serve hot gobi 65 in a serving plate
Gobi 65 is really delicious and can be best snack during winter. Try this on weekend or other holidays. I also like various soup and other tasty snacks (yummy carrot sandwich, aloo chaat, vada pav, cheesy veg bread, paneer cheese roll, veggie burger etc.)