There are some very special Bengali meals what others hardly think about. Some people may raise their eyebrows but those are very delicious and favorite meal to many Bengali people. Phena bhaat or fena bhat is one of such Bengali authentic meal. Did you ever try it? What actually is it? Is this really delicious? There are so many doubts that might be developing in your mind after seeing the pictures of phena bhat? Is it not correct?
Phena bhaat (fena bhat recipe) is nothing but mushy of overcooked govindobhog rice which is often served with various boiled seasonal vegetables. It is nutritious and a quick meal.
I also consider this as comfort food because it is not only tasty but also easy to digest and it comes with a lot of childhood memories. So I feel happy & comfortable whenever I have this awesome meal. I think many of you also consider it as a comfort meal too.
Normally it is served with various boiled vegetables or boiled egg. But I prefer to add chopped vegetables to the rice when I cook it. So it also looks very colourful.
This meal becomes more enjoyable when it is served with fried potatoes (Bengali style aloo bhaja). The nice & mouthwatering flavor of gobindobhog rice along with aloo bhaja & mixed pickle makes it a perfect comfort meal or a truly magical food what not only satisfy our body but also fulfil our mind.
So what do you think? Do you want to try it at home too? If you are a Bengali then probably you already tried this several times.
Bengali phena bhaat (Fena bhat) recipe
- 1 cup gobindobhag rice
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh seasonal vegetables
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons ghee (more if needed)
- 2.5 cups water
- Boil water in a large cooking pot, add salt too
- Wash gobindobhag rice for 2-3 times, Peel & cut fresh vegetables into small pieces
- Add everything into the boiling water and cover the pot with a lid
- Cook over a medium flame till rice & vegetables perfectly cooked (slightly overcooked rice is preferable)
- Add ghee and mix, then switch off flame and serve hot with aloo bhaja or any other thing of your choice