Niramish dumurer dalna is a popular Bengali dish. You can also say this anjeer masala or Indian fig curry. This dish is super delicious & healthy too. But nowadays people avoid making this dish because cleaning & preparing dumur is a difficult & sometimes boring task. If you have done this then you can understand what I am saying.
Dumurer dalna is nothing but a curry prepared without garlic & onion. Dumur (anjeer) & potatoes (cut into medium size pieces) are two majot ingredients apart from spices.
Dhokar daalna & phoolcopir dalna are two popular dalna dishes. Particularly dhokar dalna is very popular across the West Bengal & Bangladesh. If you are Bengali then you have definitely tried this.
Though nowadays people try to avoid making such dishes because it takes time to prepare such dishes. Particularly if you are making anjeer masala then you can understand that it needs time to clean anjeer. Actually dumur or anjeer is a brunch of flowers. But its flowers are located inside it. So you need to cut each dumur one by one and remove its flowers by using a knife or spoon.
This process needs time and it is actually a boring task. That is why people think twice before buying such vegetable.
But here I did not buy these dumur (or anjeer/ indian fig) because we have a small anjeer plant at our front yard. There were a few anjeer on the plant. As you know now almost half of the world is under lockdown. People are not allowed to go outside except for buying some essential items. But here I was getting some fresh anjeer without any hurdle, so I can not just leave it. That is why I picked those anjeer and prepared this awesome dumuer dalna (anjeer masala/Indian fig curry).
Dumurer dalna recipe
- 200 gm dumur/anjeer/indian fig
- 1 large tomato
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger (adrak) paste
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin powder/jeera
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric powder/ haldi
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1.5 teaspoons red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoon any vegetable oil
- 1.5 teaspoons ghee
- Water as needed
- Cut each dumur/anjeer into two pieces and remove its flowers which are inside of it. Use a knife of handle of a spoon to remove its flowers
- Wash it properly and keep it aside for further use
- Heat vegetable oil in kadai and add ginger paste and saute, add tomato pate too
- Now cook it over a medium flame till it becomes darker in color and then add cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder & salt to taste and mix with all other spices
- Now add dumur/anjeer and cook for next 3 minutes
- Then add small pieces of potatoes and cook for another 3 minutes
- Pour water and stir, allow it to boil for another 3-4 minutes
- Cook over low flame till it reaches desired consistency then add garam masala & ghee, mix
- Switch off flame and serve