Let’s make alu chokha more delicious. If you have definitely landed on this page because you like alu chokha. But still, you never tried doi alu chokha. Right? That is why you are here. This chokha dish is super delicious & very simple too. If you like aloo chokha then you will definitely enjoy doi alu chokha.
Doi means curd/yogurt in Bengali. Curd/yogurt is added here to make it special and that is why it is called doi alu chokha. Though being Bengali I am fond with simple mashed potato instead of aloo-chokha. But this doi alu chokha is really very special.
Since my childhood I eat simple mashed potato which is not fried in kadai, rather a simple boiled potato mashed & mixed with some raw vegetables. I love it to have with dal & plain rice. But Chokha is an excellent dish for having with tawa roti. Litti chokha is another great meal or light meal. But without roasted brinjal, chokha is not enjoyable to have with litti.
But this doi alu chokha is enjoyable with plain rice, tawa roti, litti or any other types of Indian flatbreads.
Doi alu chokha recipe
- 3 potatoes, boiled
- ½ cup curd/yogurt/dahi
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger/adrak, grated or paste
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder (haldi)
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoons mustard oil
- Heat mustard oil and add ginger & garlic, saute
- Then add finely chopped onion and cook till turns into light brown
- Add finely chopped tomato too and cook till it becomes soft
- Then add green chillies, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt, cook for another 2 minutes
- Now pour yogurt/curd and stir to mix and cook for next 2-3 minutes
- Then add roughly mashed potatoes and stir with mix with all spices
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes & switch off the flame
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves, optional