Who does not enjoy roasted corn on the cob during rainy season? Almost every corner of this country, you will find a street food vendor selling roasted corn on the cob. But did you ever try crispy fried corn chaat? It is delicious and very simple snack during the rainy season. I have tried many different versions of this snack in different places. So if you are a chaat lover, then probably you have also noticed a stall where this awesome snack is selling.
Roasted corn on the cob is very popular in all major cities in India. But it is not as popular as it is in Mumbai. Enjoying a roasted-corn on the cob and walking along the street or sea beach is the best way to spend a good time during the rainy season in Mumbai. Boiled corn seeds with some spices are also another enjoyable snack. I love that snack too.
But this crispy fried corn chaat is absolutely different because of it not just spicy but also very crispy. You can add spices according to your taste to make this chaat. I have tasted this type of crispy fried corn chaat in Mumbai for the first time. But the taste was different. They added mint flavor to that chaat and a nice smoky flavor was also coming out. It was a roadside street food stall from where I tried it.
How to make crispy fried corn chaat at home?
Remove those leafy cover & silky fibre of corn, then separate corn seeds from the cob and wash under running water
Now boil in water for 6-7 mins till those corn seeds become soft, strain it and drain water
Then add cornflour, red chilli powder & salt to those boiled corns and mix all so that those boiled corns get coated with all flour & spices. Such coat will make those corns more crispy after deep frying those
Now heat oil and fry those boiled corn seeds coated with cornflour, red chilli & salt, if oil is not enough for deep frying then fry those corns in multiple batches. Initially fry over a low flame then finally increase the flame and fry over high flame for 30 seconds.
Then take all deep-fried corn seeds in a bowl. All those seeds must to crispy, try a few. Now it is the time to make those crispy corns spicy, haha
Add chaat masala, aamchoor, garam masala, roasted cumin powder (optional), black pepper (or red chilli powder), black salt, lemon juice, finely chopped raw onion & tomato
Combine all & serve
Crispy fried corn chaat recipe
- 1 cup raw corn
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1.5 teaspoons red chilli powder
- Salt as needed
- 2-2.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5 teaspoons chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon aamchoor (dry mango powder)
- ½ teaspoon garama masala
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (or red chilli powder)
- Black salt as needed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 medium size raw onion. finely chopped
- 1 small size tomato, finely chopped
- Remove corn from the cob and wash under running water and boil in water for 6-7 mins
- Now strain it and drain water
- Then add corn flour to boiled corns, also add red chilli powder & salt as needed and mix with corn
- Now heat oil and fry those boiled corn seeds coated with corn flour, red chilli & salt
- Then take all deep fried corn seeds in a bowl
- Add chaat masala, aamchoor, garam masala, roasted cumin powder (optional), black pepper (or red chilli powder), black salt, lemon juice, finely chopped raw onion & tomato
- Combine all & serve