Dal khichdi is one of the simple, tasty and healthy Indian dishes. You may have tried different types of khichdi (or khichri) on various occasions. You may have tried this simple khichri dish for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. This awesome food can be cooked with some vegetables or sometimes without any vegetables. Here you can try this dal khichri recipe at home.
You can make it spicy or add special tadka (tempering) and enjoy it anytime. But in some places, it is also available at restaurants too, so people can enjoy this at a restaurant also. But everybody so lucky to have this at a good restaurant at their locality. So they need to rely on homemade khichdi only.
Moong dal khichdi is most popular but some people like to try this with masoor daal, toor daal or matar daal too.
Daal khichdi & festivals
This is also preferable on festivals, pujas. Onion less dal khichdi is popular for puja and vrat. This is one of most easy to make healthy meals. You do not need any other side this to have this food. So it is often prepared at home or temples or other places to offer people on various occasions. In Bengal, it is almost a compulsory item on the occasion of various pujas/rituals. It is often as a prasada.
When someone is ill and he is not being able to digest any other food, then his family members can offer him simple khichri with less spices. During rainy season, most people love to enjoy this food at home with different fried stuff.
So a lot of variations are available and people like their favorite dal khichri. Whereas some people love to try different types of food and cook at home also. Here I am sharing a special kind of dal khichdi which is popular in Bengal and eastern region of India. In this recipe, you will not use onion or any other vegetable but surprisingly you will use coconut. Did you ever try this kind of daal khichdi?
How to make dal khichri at home?
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 1 cup of rice
- 3/4 cup of moong daal
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (roasted)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (roasted)
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 teaspoons Ginger / adrak (grated or paste)
- Coconut (grated & pieces) – 1/2 grated + 1/2 cut into very small pieces
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or any vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 cups of normal water
- Roast coriander seeds & cumin seeds in a cooking pan without oil and then grind both types of seeds to make powder
- Soak rice in water for atleast 1 hour
- Roast moong daal in a frying pan (without oil) for 3 minutes, stir continuously till color of moong dal turns to light brown (or half yellow & half brown)
- Then boil water in a big size cooking pot and add rice in that pot, boil it for next three to four minutes
- Now add semi-roasted moong (lentil) in that cooking pot too, boil it for next 4-5 minutes over medium flame and stir it after every 30-40 seconds
- Now add salt & roasted cumin seeds and coriander powder, finely chopped tomato and boil for another 12 minutes, stir after regular interval otherwise it will be sticky at bottom
- Heat a frying pan, spread ghee and fry ginger paste, bay leaves, grated coconut and small pieces of coconut too one by one (stir & fry all for a few seconds, do not let raw aromas of those ingredients go away)
- Now add all sauted ingredients in boiling rice and moong (lentil)
- Boil it some more time till rice & moong lentils perfectly boiled
- Now add ghee and switch off the flame and serve hot
Dal khichdi recipe with grated coconut
- Rice – 1 cup
- Moong daal – ¾ cup
- Coriander powder (roasted) – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder (roasted) – 1 tsp
- Tomato - 1 medium size, finely chopped (optional)
- Bay leaves – 2
- Ginger / adrak – 3 tsp
- Coconut – ½ grated + ½ cut into very small pieces
- Sunflower oil – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Water – 3 cup
- Roast coriander & cumin seeds in a pan without oil and make powder
- Let rice soak in water for 1 hour
- Roast moong daal in a frying pan (without oil) for 3 minutes
- Boil water in a cooking pot and add rice in that pot, cook for 3-4 mins
- Add semi roasted moong dal in that pot too and cook another 4-5 mins
- Now add salt & roasted cumin seeds and coriander seeds powder, finely chopped tomato and boil for another 12 minutes
- Heat a frying pan, add oil and fry ginger paste, bay leaves, grated coconut and small pieces of coconut too one by one
- Now add all fried ingredients in boiling rice and daal (moong)
- Boil it some more time and check when rice and moong perfectly boiled
- Now add ghee, stir well and switch off flame
- Serve hot or warm
Mixed lentils khichri: Some people use varieties types of lentils to make khichdi/khichri (also known as khichuri in Bengali), I prefer to add moong, masoor and matar dal as a mixed lentils to make mixed lentils daal khichri.
So let us know which daal (lentil) you will prefer to make khichri?
Dal khichri with mixed vegetables: This is perfect meal for any season. When you do not have enough ingredients to make multiple dishes for your lunch or dinner then you can make this one pot meal which will be very delicious and healthy too. You can add any vegetable according to your choice or available vegetable in your kitchen inventory. I love to add potatoes, pumpkins, bottle gourd, pointed gourd, french beans, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, green peas etc. If you like to eat broccoli then also you can add it and make it your favorite meal. So anything you want to add here then you can share it and make this post more interesting.
So did you like this khichri recipe? If you liked this then must try this at home and please share your experience here by leaving your valuable comment in comment section. But if you did not like this then I would request you to share your own tips and mention the scope of improvement. Your opinion and tips will help other and myself to develop something better.
So thanks for visiting this page for dal khichdi recipe. if you want to try something else then I would suggest you check misal pav recipe, idli recipe, upma recipe, Dahi vada recipe, plain dosa recipe etc.