There are many breakfast food items across the world. But when it comes to homemade breakfast then every family makes only a few traditional dishes. Some people eat roti for three times a day whereas some people even eat rice three times a day. They hardly want to do some experiments on breakfast food. So if you prefer rice in breakfast then you can try this simple but tasty dal chawal breakfast food. This is nutritious too.
If you think it is khichdi then you are wrong because it does not look like traditional khichdi. It has less amount of lentils than any normal khichdi. It is less spicy. It is an awesome breakfast food option for every rice lover.
I love to eat this dal chawal breakfast with plain curd. But it is equally good along with any type of raita too. I named this dal chawal breakfast because I often enjoy this as my breakfast food. But anybody can have it as a meal for lunch or dinner too. For this purpose, you are free too add any other stuff (like prawn, paneer, tofu, vegetables etc) and make it a perfect meal.
But for me one small bowl full of this dal chawal breakfast and little amount of curd/yogurt are enough for a healthy & tasty breakfast. I do not need to add any other stuff to it. I enjoy this food a lot.
Dal chawal breakfast recipe
- 1 cup rice
- ⅓ cup masoor dal/lentils
- 1 large onion, chopped into small pieces
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tablespoons turmeric powder/haldi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon any vegetable oil
- Water as needed
- Heat oil in kadai and add finely chopped onion & green chillies
- Now add masoor dal & turmeric powder and stir for 2 mins
- Then add rice and stir for another 2-3 minutes over medium flame
- Then pour 2.5 cups water & salt too and stir, then cover it with a lid and allow it to cook next 12-15 mins
- Now check whether it is cooked or not, if done then switch off flame and serve with plain curd or raita