This is the most traditional & popular homemade snack in West Bengal. People use to make this motor daler bora or any other dal bora for not only have this as a snack. Bengali people love to have those with plain dal curry & rice. But as an evening snack, it is also a very easy & tasty option.
That is why nowadays it is also used to be sold as street food at many places of Bengal. Mostly such roadside street food vendors are seen near Railway stations, local market area, schools, colleges, offices and parks too. Not only kids love this dal bora but also young adult to old people do like this motor daler bora or any other types of dal bora a lot. Though not all of those dal bora available at those roadside street food stalls are hygienic but still people simply can not stop themselves to buy from those stalls because those are really mouthwatering. Nothing can be best than motor daler bora in the evening.
Though most people make those daler bora with split pea lentils (Matar dal) but many people also use masoor dal or chana dal to make such dal bora. I personally like motor daler bora instead of any other dal bora. So which type of dal/lentils do you want to prefer to make daler bora?
So did you ever notice such roadside food stall where daler bora is being cooked and sold? I think you have definitely noticed those food stalls if you live in West Bengal. This evening snack is not so popular in any other states in India. But there are some places in neighboring states like Bihar & Jharkhand where you may have observed those food stalls too. I have also noticed such stalls at Rajendra Nagar, Patna in Bihar.
I love to enjoy those motor daler bora with green chutney prepared with mint & coriander leaves. If you have not tried the combination of dal bora & pudina chutney then you should try this soon and share your experience by leaving a short reply below.
Motor daler bora recipe
- ⅔ cup split pea lentils/ matar dal
- 2 green chillies
- ½ inch ginger
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp black cumin/kala jeera (kalo jeera)
- 1 tbsp water + 1 cup water water for soaking
- Oil as needed for deep frying
- Wash split pea lentils under running water, then soak it in water for more than 2 hours
- Now take lentils, ginger, green chillies and little water in a blender and blend to make the puree (not perfect puree, some broken lentils should remain in the paste)
- Now add salt and black cumin, then mix
- Now take one small spoon size paste and deep fry
- Fry all paste this way, then take all daler bora in a plate and spread pinches of rock salt over bora & serve hot with pudina chutney