Aloo posto is one of most popular Bengali food. Particularly people whose ancestors are from West Bengal, they love this aloo posto so much. Though Bengali people enjoy this aloo posto throughout the year but during the March, April & May months they enjoy this aloo posto with sojne data (drumstick vegetables). Did you ever try this Bengali aloo sojne data posto?
Here posto means poppy seeds and sojne data means drumstick vegetables. Drumsticks are very popular not only in Bengal but also across the world. People know this drumstick (moringa) plant for its nutrient values. It contains significant amount of various minerals & vitamins. Drumsticks leaves, flowers & vegetables are widely used in various dishes as vegetable. Though this drumstick (sojne) plant is easily visible in villages and backyard of many houses in semi urban areas but still this vegetable is little bit expensive as compared to any other vegetables. This may be due to its demand or its availability for very short duration.
Drumstick flowers are also used as vegetables, I mean it is often used to make an awesome vegetarian dish what many Bengali people like a lot. That dish is sojne phool bati chorchori. Did you tasted? It is also a good seasonal dish and full of nutrient values.
Also read: Bengali traditional dish – kacha posto bata ( Raw poppy seeds paste)
Okay, now coming to this aloo posto with sojne data or aloo sojne data posto dish. It is often considered as side dish to have this with plain biulir dal or sometimes many people prefer this as main course food item to with plain rice. But mostly people enjoy this with biulir dal and rice. This aloo posto with sojne data is a simple potato & drumstick based dish with thick poppy seeds paste. It is generally not so hot (chilli) or spicy food item.
Aloo sojne data posto recipe
- 2 medium size potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 5-6 drumsticks, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- ½ cup poppy seeds paste
- 2 green chillies
- 3 sun dried red chillies
- 2 teaspoons kalonji/nigella seeds/black cumin seeds
- 1.5 table spoons refined oil
- Salt as needed
- 1 cup water
- Soak poppy seeds in water for 4 hours, drain water then make thick paste (by using sil batta/sil nora)
- Heat oil in a cooking pot, add whole sun dried red chillies and black cumin seeds, saute till nice smell comes out
- Now add small potato cubes & drumstick pieces and cook for next 3-4 minutes
- Then add poppy seeds paste and finely chopped green chillies and cook for next 2-3 minutes
- Finally pour water and cook over low flame till gravy becomes thick and creamy, stir it in after each one-two minutes
- Serve this awesome Bengali dish with plain rice
In case you have tried this aloo posto with sojne data recipe (aloo sojne data posto recipe) then do not forget to share your experience. Just leave a comment below.