Tel begun! I mean Bangar Special mouthwatering tel begun. It is a very popular Bengali dish. Begun means brinjal or eggplant. It is very spicy main course item. Any brinjal hater will also like this, haha. But this food is oil rich and spicy. So if you are health conscious then you can try this occasionally.
In case you do not like brinjal then you can atleast try this item for one time. I believe you will definitely like this wonderful eggplant curry. Most people love this tel begun with plain rice. But I enjoy this food with plain rice as well as roti too. I always prefer to make it little healthier so that I can have this so frequently.
Banglar special tel begun recipe (Healthy version)
- 2 medium size brinjal/eggplant
- 2 large size tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large size onion, cut into thin slices
- 2.5 teaspoons pickle flavored spices mixture
- 3 green chillies, cut into thin slices
- Salt as needed
- 1.5 tablespoons mustard oil
- ½ cup water
- Heat mustard oil in a cooking pan, add finely chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes or till it turns into light brown
- Now add tomato pieces, salt and cook till tomatoes become soft
- Then add spices mixture and mix with all masala, now add medium size pieces of brinjal/eggplant/begun and fry with all spices till brinjal half cooked & soft
- Now add half cup of water and stir, then cover it with a lid and cook it over a low flame for next 5 minutes
- Now it is ready for serving with plain rice or roti
You can also try some other Bengali traditional dishes like paat shaker jhol (jute leaves curry), Bengali style kochur loti, winter special sorse shim chorchori, tradiotnal Bengali garur daal, mochar ghonto (banana flowers curry)
If you want to use more mustard oil then you can fry those brinjal first and then those brinjal will absorb all oil. So this way you have to use almost double amount of mustard oil. That tel begun will be tastier and if you want to avoid consuming extra oil then you can choose this tel begun recipe and try this at home.